Our acrylic pen turning blanks are manufactured and made from a variety of different coloured swirls and pattern acrylics. These pen blanks make a stunning alternative to the more traditional wooden pen blanks and are preferred for turning some of the more expensive pen kits. Apart from pen turning these blanks are ideal for light pulls, razor, seam ripper and many other similar projects.
The acrylic pen blanks are prepared and turned in the same way as the wooden pen blanks are turned using woodturning tools. Each blank measures 20 x 20 x 150mm
- Prior to cutting the pen blank, mark the blank so that you know the direction of the pattern when you come to assemble the pen.
- For drilling out the acrylic pen blanks we have found it best to use the Colt HSS-M2 Pen drill bits or similar drill bits, these produce the finest of cuts.
- If using a pillar drill or hand-held power drill, use the pen blank central holding device (PBCV). This enables you to keep the pen blank vertical when drilling.
- There is also the option of using the lathe and the Robert Sorby Pen Jaw Set (LRSJPEN) in the head stock with a 13mm keyed chuck / Jacobs jaws in the tail stock.
- For gluing in the brass tubes use the thick CA – UK: Cyanoacrylate Glue (4366)
- It is possible to achieve a glass like finish on the acrylic blanks using the Micro Mesh Acrylic Pen Kit (MMAPK) and the Micro Mesh abrasives these go to a 12,000 grit
- There are many different polishes available, we have found that the best polish for acrylic type pen blanks is the
- Starbright Plastic Polish (SBPP) and the Chestnut Product Products Burnishing Cream.
- We recommend keeping any off cuts for projects such as bottle stoppers, light pulls, or you could make up your own pen blanks by cutting and gluing up the segments of acrylic.
To give you an idea of what our acrylic pen blanks look like, we have turned down the blanks from square to the round. Each blank is unique due to the pattern, swirls of colours and shades.